Entrepreneurs thrive in Carteret County. The Crystal Coast has a long tradition of entrepreneurship dating back hundreds of years, when local innovators built boats and developed gear to support vibrant fishing, transportation and manufacturing industries. That tradition has expanded to make Carteret County a hotspot for people seeking to start or pursue entrepreneurial enterprises while enjoying the benefits of a coastal lifestyle.
At a time when millions have transitioned to working remotely, many have moved to the Crystal Coast to escape dense and high-cost urban areas. They are attracted to the ocean, beaches, sounds and rivers that traverse Carteret County. Where a break from the work day often includes boating, paddling, fishing, or just enjoying the tranquility of the water in its many manifestations.
Because Carteret County is a county where small businesses predominate, a wide variety of free resources exist to nurture entrepreneurial and small businesses:
- Carteret County Economic Development Department—Located on the Carteret Community College campus in Morehead City, the Economic Development Department is the primary point of contact for businesses located in Carteret County or for businesses seeking to locate or expand on the Crystal Coast.
Contact: Don Kirkman, Director, (252) 222-6121, Don.Kirkman@carteretcountync.gov
or Michele Querry, Economic Development Officer, (252) 222-6121, Michele.Querry@carteretcountync.gov.
- Carteret County Small Business Center—Located on the Carteret Community College campus, the Small Business Center offers education and training, counseling and referral information. Contact: Brandy Bell, Director, (252) 222-6127, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)—As the business and technology extension service of The University of North Carolina, the SBTDC can help you make better and more informed decisions, access capital and financing resources, evaluate and improve your financial performance, obtain quality business and market information, and improve leadership skills and employee performance. Contact: Ariana Billingsley, Regional Center Director, East Carolina University, (252) 737-1368, email@example.com.
- Carteret County Remote and Entrepreneurial Worker (CCREW) Network—An initiative of the Carteret County Economic Development Foundation, CCREW is a network of entrepreneurs and remote working professionals providing peer-to-peer exchanges and
- Business Link North Carolina (BLNC)—Working in partnership with the N.C. Department of Commerce, BLNC representatives can answer many of your questions about business licensing and permitting, legal structures, forms, tax requirements, financing resources, hiring employees and more. Contact Toll Free: (800) 228-8443, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Carteret County Chamber of Commerce—the Chamber is a membership organization that supports a wide range of membership services. Contact: Tom Kies, President, (252) 726-6350, firstname.lastname@example.org